As time goes on, you may see the need for a modification of a court order regarding child support, child custody or divorce terms. Circumstances change, and it may not be feasible to move forward without heading into negotiations or going before a judge. At Gardner & Smith, PLLC, our family law attorneys have the skills and experience to evaluate your case and determine if a modification may be possible. With our assistance, you can strategize for an agreement or ruling that is up to date with your life changes.

When Can Child Support Be Modified?

A parent may require more or less financial support from the other parent as their child ages. Similarly, a parent's ability to support their child may increase or decrease over time. As such, the original child support orders may be modified through a court hearing or Texas' child support order may be modified through a court hearing or mediation.

Modifications to child support may be approved under one of two conditions:

  • There has been a material and substantial change that warrants a modification.
  • The order was issued three or more years ago and differs by either 20 percent or $100 from the current child support guidelines.

Substantial and material changes include things like changes in income, living arrangements, child custody and health insurance.

Can I Change The Original Custody Order?

In some cases, it may be necessary to change an original custody agreement or order. Cases in which custody agreements and orders may be modified to account for changes such as:

  • Living arrangements
  • Parents' work schedules
  • Drug or alcohol abuse
  • Domestic violence
  • A parent is not abiding by the order
  • Health

We Are The Lawyers You Need To Negotiate And Fight For Your Rights

We have extensive experience helping parents and divorcees modify original agreements and orders. We will be proactive in negotiating modifications and will do what it takes to obtain the best possible outcome. We provide candid advice around the clock at a time that works for you. Learn about your rights under the law and call 817-369-8463 or request information online. Appointments are held at our office, which is in Fort Worth.