If you have already finalized your divorce, then you may think that everything is done with. However, what would you say if you suddenly saw your ex-spouse with assets you thought no longer existed? What would you do if you found out they'd won the lottery but didn't tell you prior to your divorce?

In cases where you feel that you've been taken advantage of, you may want to try to appeal or modify the divorce decree. A modification is a great way to change property division allocations if you have a problem like above.

When you seek the change, you will file a motion to modify the divorce decree. You will generally have to file this with the same court that you used for your divorce. In that document, you'll have to show what warrants the changes. For example, if you can prove that your spouse hid assets, then you'll be able to seek a distribution of what you're owed.

This document will need to be served to your ex-spouse after you file for divorce. At that time, they can agree or disagree with the modification. If you disagree, you may need to go to a hearing before a judge to have the case ruled on.

Your attorney will help you prepare the modification request and work with you to build up enough evidence to help you get the modification approved. If you were lied to during your divorce and can prove that your ex-spouse hid pertinent information from the court, then you may be in a good position to have the modification approved.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

How Can We Help?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location
3821 Camp Bowie Blvd.
Fort Worth, TX 76107

Phone: 817-737-4000
Fort Worth Law Office Map